The Bodyguard at The Adelphi Theatre – 15th February 2013

16 Feb

Some of you may have noticed that I’ve become slightly addicted with The Bodyguard since my first visit in December. At the moment I’m watching the show around once a week and I’m loving it more and more each time.

And when I found out I would happen to be in London the day Oliver Le Sueur was on for Frank Farmer for the first time I just couldn’t resist watching the show that day.

I love Lloyd Owen’s Frank. He’s very calm and oozes charisma. His Frank hides his feelings well and doesn’t open up to people quickly.
Oliver on the other hand comes across as much warmer and easier to get close to. His Frank shows more emotion and he generally appears more accessible. I loved seeing such a completely different take on the role. While I doubt this portrayal would suit Lloyd’s Frank it worked perfectly for Oliver. It was very impressive to see how relaxed Oliver appeared playing the male lead in such a big show for the very first time. I’m looking forward to seeing how he develops in the part once he has been on a few more times. If you get the chance please do go and catch him as Frank. You won’t be disappointed!

20130216-122710.jpg
Heather Headley once again proved what a star she is by delivering yet another breathtaking performance. Her and Oliver worked really well together. And for the first time her answer to “What did you expect?” after she tells Frank he doesn’t look like a Bodyguard made perfect sense: “Somebody bigger” (not that Oliver is small but he’s definitely not as tall as Lloyd).

20130216-122507.jpg
Debbie Kurup’s performance was flawless as always. Hearing her and Heather sing “Run to you” remains one of my show highlight. She gives Nicky a vulnerability that makes it impossible not to feel for her.

20130216-122603.jpg
I’d like to give a special shout out to David Page and Holly James. Watching those two dance is nothing but amazing. I really hope I’ll manage to catch Holly as Nicky and David as the Stalker sometimes.

If you haven’t seem The Bodyguard yet I urge you to go and watch the show. You’ll be treated to an evening full of breathtaking voices, great dancing and an all in all well done stage adaption of a popular movie.

For more info and to book tickets go to http://www.thebodyguardmusical.com

Advertisements

6 Responses to “The Bodyguard at The Adelphi Theatre – 15th February 2013”

1. hisandherscene February 17, 2013 at 8:59 pm #

Another show I am dying to watch! I adore Debbie Kurup so this is on my must watch asap X

• theatregirl February 18, 2013 at 11:25 am #

You’ll love the show. I’ve been six times and keep getting more and more addicted. Make sure you catch Heather and Debbie. They are amazing together. πŸ™‚ x

2. sparepart973 March 15, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

Hi since you’re the Bodyguard expert (I hope!) would you know when or if Shanay Holmes will go on as Rachel this week, as Heather is off for the entire week? I really hope I can catch her next weekend. I’ve seen Heather, Gloria and Janet as Rachel and would love to catch Shanay. Love the blog, btw!

• theatregirl March 15, 2013 at 4:36 pm #

Hey! Judging from experience Gloria should do all evening performances while Heather is away. The matinees are usually split between Janet and Shanay but unfortunately I have no idea who is doing which matinee this upcoming week. The boy office might be able to help though so you might want to give them a call.
      Glad you like the blog! πŸ™‚

• sparepart973 March 16, 2013 at 3:15 pm #

I’ll keep my fingers crossed, I’m in London as of Friday and really want to see Shanay. I’ve already seen Heather, Gloria and Janet and can’t wait to add Shanay to the list. As Lloyd will be out the following week I’ll catch Oliver as Frank, as well. I wonder who is replacing Heather in August. Rumors of Alexandra Burke again..hmm..

• theatregirl March 16, 2013 at 7:13 pm #

I’ll be back to see Heather and Oliver on the 25th. Love his take on Frank Farmer. Your best bet to see Shanay is the Sat mat. Pretty sure it’ll be Gloria on both Fri and Sat eve.
        I’m not thinking about replacements yet. I’m making the most of the show while Heather is there. I adore that woman. πŸ™‚